Douglas businesses to sue
A solicitor acting on behalf of six Douglas businesses says litigation is the only way they will recoup their lost earnings.
“Cork County Council said they had no liability during their meeting on Monday,” said Harry McCullagh.
Over 150 houses and some 200 commercial properties were severely damaged in Co Cork during recent flooding, according to a Cork County Council report. The damage was confined mainly to the Douglas, Clonakilty and Glanmire areas.
The council estimates that in Douglas 12 houses, 100 commercial properties, a community hall and a medical centre were all flooded.
“All of my clients are going through a process at the moment. Assessors are in and they have photographed all the damage.
“Liability is being denied at the moment. It could be the Office of Public Works, Cork County Council or the engineers that constructed the culvert that are at fault.
“There is an ongoing loss of earnings through disruption,” he said. This is in addition to the losses that businesses have suffered due to flooding damage.
“We’ve people who are shut down and that can’t get re-insured.”
He said that from his past experience of Cork County Council, litigating is the best possible way forward for the businesses.
“There are so many multiple parties involved, that any litigation will incorporate and inevitably involve multiple defendants, and any apportionment will be amongst themselves.
“Once we have ascertained the loss of damages ands relevant parties, we will proceed to litigate for losses and shortfalls."
County Council flooding report
According to the Cork County Council report, over 70 homes and 100 commercial premises, 36 roads and 16 bridges/culverts were damaged in the Clonakilty area.
In Ballinascarthy, 18 properties were flooded and some were also flooded in Rathbarry. The majority of the 49 houses in the Meadowbrook Estate in Glanmire were damaged and homes were also flooded in Sallybrook.
Ten commercial properties suffered flooding in Glanmire’s Hazelwood Shopping Centre, including the county council library.
At the meeting, county manager Martin Riordan said that he would look for leeway regarding the commercial water charges for commercial premises that suffered flooding.
Mr McCullagh said that the move was “a bit rich” as the businesses were using the water to clean out their flooded businesses. “Getting a bill for water and one for rates to clean out the floods is a bit much,” he said.
“There should have been two trash screens at the culverts from what I’m hearing from engineers,” he added.
In the Cork Independent last Thursday 5 July on page 8, we reported that the only business in Douglas Village Shopping Centre that had re-opened was Pharmacy Plus.
It has been brought to our attention that Falvey’s Pharmacy had been open for business from Tuesday 3 July, after they temporarily moved to their unit next door. We are happy to clarify this matter.