Cannellini bean and chorizo soup
Serve this on its own as a healthy alternative to a big dinner when you want something quick to eat that is nutritious and very tasty. Serves four.
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, destrung and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 chorizo link, skin removed and chopped
1 tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed of their juice
6 cups of chicken stock (fresh or made up with 1 chicken stock cube)
2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
1/4 sprig of rosemary, leaves stripped (optional)
1. Gently fry the carrot, onion and celery in olive oil for 8-10 minutes over a low heat until the vegetables are lightly coloured.
2. Add the garlic, bay leaf and chorizo and fry for 1-2 minutes. Do not brown the garlic.
3. Add the cannellini beans, the chicken stock and the thyme and rosemary. Cook for 10 minutes or until piping hot.
- add fresh finely sliced and deseeded red chilli pepper at step one if you want it hot.
- serve with lots of bread and a green salad for a lighter dinner.
- feel free to change the beans for kidney or chickpeas and change the herbs to suit what you have.
- Add in cream at the end to make it richer.
- leave out the chorizo for a vegetarian version.
Sourced from Greatfood.ie